Mario Mendoza's Treadmill Tips
As we take our workouts indoors, now is the time to make peace with the treadmill. We asked Mario Mendoza (current world record holder of the fastest treadmill 50k) for his tips and favorite treadmill workouts.
Mario’s Warm UpTaking the first steps on a treadmill is always the hardest thing (this also applies to just getting out of the door). Start by running a half-mile at any pace you want, nice and easy. Mario has found that he feels much more alert and ready to push in a hard workout after a quick warm up.
Mario’s Favorite Treadmill Workouts1. Speed Workout Mario said consistent speed work made his 50k pace feel a lot more sustainable. This workout is great for anyone who wants to maintain a competitive speed for a flat, fast road race. Alternating mile intervals:
- One mile at 30 seconds faster than goal pace
- One mile at 50 seconds to 1 minute slower than previous mile
- Aim to do a total of 6-14 miles, alternating back and forth
- Do a slow cool down after your intervals
- Run 1 minute at a fast pace with little or no incline
- Each minute, increase the incline but lower the speed so as to keep the same effort
- Example: 6 min pace at 1%, 6:08 at 2%, 6:16 at 3% (most treadmills only go to 12-15% unless you have a fancy one but people can customize their inclines and pace/effort levels)